- Title: Nursing mothers stage climate protest against Google in London
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) GOOGLE OFFICES / VARIOUS OF CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVISTS, MOTHERS NURSING BABIES, SITTING ON GROUND SINGING YOUNG GIRL HOLDING BABY DOLL CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVISTS, MOTHERS NURSING BABIES, SITTING ON GROUND SINGING MOTHER AND BABY (AUDIBLE CLAPPING) / GOOGLE OFFICES (SOUNDBITE) (English) CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST, CHARLOTTE PHILLIPS, FROM LONDON, SAYING: "Look we know that politicians and other big corporations will continue to destroy our planet for profit, we know that they will continue to do that, and all we can do is keep going to them with our babies, with our families, and asking them to stop doing that and to join the fight to save our planet." VARIOUS OF CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVISTS SEATED ON GROUND, HOLDING BABIES AND SINGING BABY NURSING MOTHER HOLDING BABY (SOUNDBITE) (English) CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST, JO, LAST NAME NOT GIVEN, FROM LONDON, SAYING: "We're sending this message anywhere, where we can see that there are things happening, there are people in power with influence that can make a difference, and we need everyone to come together. It's everybody now, it's everybody in a position of influence, everybody with money that's invested somewhere, to put it into the right places so that we can turn this situation around and have a chance of creating a habitable planet for our children, and it's the kind of fierce love of mothers that is rising up today to say we demand a future for our children." BABY NURSING MOTHERS AND BABIES SEATED ON GROUND, CLAPPING CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTERS, DRESSED IN RED, STANDING BY AND PUTTING HANDS RAISED CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTERS, DRESSED IN RED WITH WHITE MAKEUP, WALKING AWAY WITH HANDS RAISED
- Embargoed: 30th October 2019 13:41
- Keywords: climate change nursing mothers protest Google London nurse-in
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Environment,Editors' Choice,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1CLCUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS NUDITY IN SHOTS 6, 9 AND 10.
About 150 mothers with babies and young children defied a police ban on climate protests to stage a "nurse-in" outside the London offices of Google on Wednesday (October 16).
The mothers said they were acting in response to a report in Britain's Guardian newspaper last week that said Google has made "substantial" contributions to climate deniers in Washington despite saying it supports climate action.
"We know that politicians and other big corporations will continue to destroy our planet for profit, we know that they will continue to do that, and all we can do is keep going to them with our babies, with our families, and asking them to stop doing that and to join the fight to save our planet," said protester Charlotte Phillips, who came to the protest with her baby.
Google said in the Guardian report: "We're hardly alone among companies that contribute to organisations while strongly disagreeing with them on climate policy."
The mothers gathered despite police issuing a ban on protests by the Extinction Rebellion group in London late on Monday.
(Production: Ben Makori, Sawda Mohamoud, Helena Williams, Lisa Giles-Keddie)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None