- Title: File of past Japanese emperors' enthronements before Naruhito's own ceremony
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: Thousands gathered to watch the enthronement of Emperor Akihito, the 125th emperor of Japan, on November 12, 1990. TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - NOVEMBER 12, 1990) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) CROWD CHEERING, WAVING JAPANESE FLAGS THEN-EMPEROR AKIHITO AND EMPRESS MICHIKO FACING CROWD BEHIND WINDOW
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 09:48
- Keywords: Japan emperor royal family enthronement Hirohito Akihito Naruhito
- Location: TOKYO, KYOTO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, KYOTO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Royals
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1CI3WN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: New Japanese Emperor Naruhito is set to proclaim his enthronement to the world on Tuesday (October 22) in a centuries-old ceremony attended by some 2,500 people including foreign leaders and dignitaries from nearly 200 countries.
Naruhito, like his father nearly three decades ago, will wear a traditional robe and headdress to the ceremony that will start at 1:00 p.m. (0400 GMT) at the Imperial Palace's Matsu no ma, or Hall of Pine, the most prestigious space in the palace.
He will declare his enthronement from the "Takamikura" - a 6.5 metre (21 feet) high pavilion that weighs about 8 tonnes - with a sword and a jewel, two of the so-called Three Sacred Treasures, placed beside him.
Together with a mirror called Yata-no-Kagami, which is kept at the Ise Grand Shrine, the holiest site in Japan's Shinto religion, the ancient sword and jewel comprise the regalia that symbolises the legitimacy of the emperor.
Akihito pledged during the previous ceremony in 1990 to observe Japan's pacifist constitution and fulfil his duty as a symbol of the state and of the unity of the people.
Naruhito's proclamation will be followed by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's congratulatory address. Abe will then lead three cheers for the new emperor, bringing the 30-minute ceremony to a close.
About 16.1 billion yen has been earmarked for succession-related ceremonies throughout the year, including the enthronement ceremony.
(Production: Kwiyeon Ha)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None