- Title: France's Macron says Brexit deal can be found in coming hours
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: TOULOUSE, FRANCE (OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON AND GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, ATTENDING FRANCO-GERMAN JOINT CABINET MEETING MERKEL AND MACRON ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE MACRON AND MERKEL LISTENING TO QUESTION FROM REPORTER (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Together we also prepared for the European Council which will take place tomorrow and Friday on the issues of the European budget, enlargement (of the EU) and of course Brexit, on which I want to believe that a deal is being finalised and that we will be able to sign off on it tomorrow." MERKEL SPEAKING AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: (SHOT BEGINS ON MERKEL) "I agree on every point with what the German chancellor said on Brexit, and our hope, our willingness to be in a position to endorse a deal, which I hope can be found in the coming hours. In any case, what we're hearing today is positive." NEWS CONFERENCE ONGOING MACRON SPEAKING AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING ABOUT INCLUDING MACEDONIA AND ALBANIA IN THE EUROPEAN UNION: "Regarding enlargement, Europe is a big and beautiful house where we all live together. A few years ago, a member of our family decided to leave and it is hard for us to let them leave the house. And sometimes, we have difficulties renovating the house, repairing the lights, the electricity, and actually many members, when we ask them if they are ready to invest to repair the lights or redo the door, they say 'no I won't be investing in this house, not more than one percent'. Sometimes those same ones, even though we don't know how to leave it or renovate it, say 'we're going to invite some new friends (Macedonia and Albania).'" NEWS CONFERENCE ONGOING MACRON THANKING NEWS CONFERENCE / MACRON AND MERKEL LEAVING
- Embargoed: 30th October 2019 17:48
- Keywords: Emmanuel Macron Angela Merkel Brexit Britain European Union deal Franco-German joint cabinet meeting
- Location: TOULOUSE, FRANCE
- City: TOULOUSE, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1CM1C7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CAN BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH 3223-BRITAIN-EU/MERKEL FOR MERKEL SOUNDBITES ON BREXIT
PLEASE NOTE: SEE EDIT 3233-BRITAIN-EU/MACRON-UPDATE FOR HIGH QUALITY IMAGES AND SOUNDBITES ON BREXIT AND EU ACCESSION CANDIDATES ALBANIA AND MACEDONIA
French President Emmanuel Macron said on Wednesday (October 16) a Brexit deal could be found between Britain and the European Union in the coming hours and endorsed by EU leaders at a summit in Brussels on Friday (October 18).
"I agree on every point with what the German chancellor said on Brexit, and our hope, our willingness to be in a position to endorse a deal, which I hope can be found in the coming hours. In any case, what we're hearing today is positive," Macron told a news conference.
He also confirmed it was too early in his view to start EU accession talks with Albania and North Macedonia, although he recognised the two countries had made significant progress with domestic reforms.
(Production: Clotaire Achi and Pascale Antonie)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None