- Title: Former Pompeo top aide testifies in closed U.S. House session
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF MICHAEL MCKINLEY ENTERING THE U.S. CAPITOL INTERIOR VIEW OF MCKINLEY ENTERING CAPITOL AT SECURITY CHECK POINT
- Embargoed: 30th October 2019 14:31
- Keywords: Michael McKinley McKinley arrival Ukraine whistleblower impeachment arrival
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1CIQTJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Michael McKinley, a diplomat who recently resigned as an aide to U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo, appeared on Wednesday (October 16) for a closed session with lawmakers conducting an impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump.
McKinley, a career diplomat, served as Pompeo's policy adviser since May 2018 following previous posts as ambassador to Brazil, Afghanistan, Colombia and Peru.
While McKinley has not been directly involved with Ukraine, he has served as a conduit between Pompeo's office and career staff, according the Washington Post.
House Democrats have issued a subpoena to Pompeo for documents as part of their probe, which centers on a July 25 call Trump made to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in which he pressed for an investigation into former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, a leading Democrat seeking the party's nomination in the 2020 presidential election.
So far, Pompeo has not cooperated with the subpoena.
(Production: Nathan Frandino, Greg Savoy, Kia Johnson)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None