- Title: Hong Kong anti-government protestors say policy speech 'meaningless'
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PRO-DEMOCRACY ACTIVISTS CHANTING CARRIE LAM PLACARD WITH MASK COVERING HER EYES PRO-DEMOCRACY ACTIVISTS GATHERING BANNER READING (in English): "FREE HONG KONG FROM TYRANNY" POLICE TAKING VIDEOS VARIOUS OF PRO-DEMOCRACY ACTIVISTS MARCHING PRO-DEMOCRACY ACTIVISTS HOLDING BANNER (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) PRO-DEMOCRACY ACTIVIST, RAPHAEL WONG, SAYINGï¼› "Today, Carrie Lam will deliver the policy address which is about Hong Kong society's policies. But I think the most important political issue has not been solved yet. Carrie Lam's government didn't respond to Hong Kong citizens' five demands. I think this policy address is meaningless. It's a matter of no consequence." VARIOUS OF PRO-DEMOCRACY ACTIVISTS MARCHING POLICEMEN ON STREET VARIOUS OF RAPHAEL WONG ARGUING WITH POLICE PRO-DEMOCRACY ACTIVISTS GATHERING VARIOUS OF PRO-DEMOCRACY ACTIVISTS MARCHING WONG CHANTING PRO-DEMOCRACY ACTIVISTS CHANTING LAM PLACARD WITH MASK COVERING HER EYES (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRO-DEMOCRACY ACTIVIST, LEUNG KWOK-HUNG, SAYING: "We urge she needs to act to respond to the five demands of the Hong Kong people. For four months, she claimed that she will dialogue to the community but she didn't. She did it for a solve, a political solve." BARRICADES OUTSIDE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL POLICEMEN POINTING POLICEMAN WALKING POLICE OUTSIDE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL POLICE SHIELDS POLICE OUTSIDE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL
- Embargoed: 30th October 2019 05:14
- Keywords: Hong Kong protests protestors pro-democracy police policy speech
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1CIHC7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Some anti-government protesters on Wednesday (October 16) rallied in front of the Hong Kong Legislative Council (LegCo) complex ahead of leader Carrie Lam's policy address, saying that it would be 'meaningless' if their five demands are not met.
The protesters marched near the government office headquarters and hung placards on the LegCo gate amid tight security around the compound.
Lam was forced to halt her annual policy address on Wednesday after some lawmakers disrupted the session, shouting and jeering as she started her speech.
Lam was due to announce a raft of property initiatives in a bid to restore confidence in her administration, after more than four months of anti-government protests.
Beijing-backed Lam, who has rejected calls for her to stand down, was due to present her third policy address as escalating violence has plunged the Chinese-ruled city into its biggest political crisis in decades.
(Production: Xihao Jiang)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None