- Title: Lebanese protest over slumping economy
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: BEIRUT, LEBANON (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS ON MOTORCYCLES IN TUNNEL PROTESTERS GATHERING IN CENTRAL BEIRUT AND SHOUTING (Arabic): 'The people want to topple the regime' PROTESTERS CHANTING AGAINST POLITICIANS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING (Arabic): 'Revolution' PROTESTERS WAVING LEBANESE FLAGS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNNAMED PROTESTER, SAYING: "The Lebanese people are hurt. Feel us. It is enough. I am sick, I don't have to tell you what I have, I am not begging but my living... don't take away my salary. I am working to give it you?" VARIOUS OF TYRES SET ON FIRE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WALKING TOWARDS GOVERNMENT HEADQUARTERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS BLOCKING ROAD ON TRAFFIC (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEBANESE PROTESTER, ABDALLLAH, SAYING: "We are staying on the streets, we are going tomorrow and after tomorrow and after this. We are not here over the Whatsapp, we are here over everything: over fuel, food, bread, over everything." PROTESTERS GATHERING AND CHANTING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING HANDS IN FRONT OF SECURITY FORCES VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SITTING ON THE GROUND AND CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEBANESE PROTESTER, SIRINE BADR, SAYING: "I am paying everything and when I needed it, I found no organization to help me. At the end of the day, what will I provide my son if I don't provide for myself? At the end of the day, if I stay hidden behind social media and I don't go onto the streets, how can I dare ask for my rights? Where do I start? First of all, I want to fight corruption. I want to ask those in charge why do you have this? You are living at this level and I am running after bread. I want to ask where is medicine. Where is the insurance for getting old? When I want a cancer medicine, I have to get it from Turkey; why? When there is rain, I have no shelter to reach my job, and if I don't reach my job, I will get fired because there are another 10 people who are jobless and looking for a job." JOUNIEH, LEBANON (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) TRAFFIC ON HIGHWAY / TYRES ON FIRE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERING NEAR TYRES ON FIRE MORE OF TYRES BURNING / PROTESTERS GATHERING
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 21:41
- Location: BEIRUT AND JOUNIEH, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT AND JOUNIEH, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1HMVYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Thousands of people demonstrated in Beirut late on Thursday (October 17) against the government's management of a dire economy in one of Lebanon's biggest protests in years, leading the Cabinet to pull a proposed new levy on WhatsApp calls.
Protesters blocked roads across Lebanon with burning tyres, broadcasts showed, the second time in less than a month Lebanon has seen demonstrations expressing anger at the political elite.
The demonstrations have been fuelled by stagnant economic conditions exacerbated by a financial crisis in one of the world's most heavily indebted states. The government is trying to find ways to bring down its gaping budget deficit.
Production: (Alaa Kanaan, Ahmad El Kerdi, Imad Creidi, Yara Abi Nader)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None