- Title: U.S. senators announce sanctions bill on Turkey over Syria offensive
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 17, 2019 (UNRESTRICTED POOL) (SOUNDBITE) (English) RICK SCOTT, REPUBLICAN, U.S. SENATOR, SAYING: "The Kurds have been a partner. They helped us defeat ISIS, when you have a partner like that, you've got to treat them with respect and you got to treat them fairly."
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 17:37
- Keywords: Lindsey Graham Richard Blumenthal Rick Scott
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1HMAMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. senators on Thursday (October 17) announced legislation carrying wide-ranging sanctions on Turkey over its offensive in Syria.
The bill from the Republican-led Senate targets Turkish officials and mandates sanctions over Turkey's purchase of russia s-400 missile system. Republican U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham, who has blasted President Donald Trump for the abrupt policy change in Syria, predicted strong bipartisan support for the bill.
A Turkish offensive in northeast Syria has killed 218 civilians, including 18 children since it started a week ago, the Kurdish-led administration in the region said on Thursday. The fighting has also wounded more than 650 people.
(Production: Kia Johnson)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None