- Title: EU's Tusk says "very close to final stretch" on Brexit
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF EU COUNCIL BUILDING
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 17:46
- Keywords: Brexit Summit Ireland Withdrawal Agreement EU EU Leaders Deal Barnier Tusk Juncker Britain Varadkar European Union Ulster Negotiation
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1HM7GN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: European Council President Donald Tusk said on Thursday (October 17) that the EU and Britain were "very close to the final stretch" of Brexit, with approval by the British and European parliaments the last steps to take.
Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar compared Britain to "an old friend" saying there would always be a place in the club for Britain it ever chose to return.
The head of the EU executive, Jean-Claude Juncker, and his Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier, both said the deal would maintain peace on the island of Ireland.
They were speaking after the 27 other European Union member states agreed to a deal clinched on Thursday, hours before the bloc's summit in Brussels, under which Britain will leave on October 31.
(Production: Clement Rossignol)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None