- Title: Correia arrives at court for arraignment related to Giuliani associates
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DAVID CORREIA, WHO WAS INDICTED WITH ASSOCIATED OF RUDY GIULIANI, WALKING INTO MANHATTAN FEDERAL COURTHOUSE
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 19:17
- Keywords: Hunter and Joe Biden U.S. President Donald Trump Igor Fruman Andrey Kukushkin Ukraine Lev Parnas Rudolph Giuliani David Correia campaign finance violations
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1HMBEV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Businessman David Correia arrived at a Manhattan federal court on Thursday (October 17) ahead of his arraignment on charges related to what prosecutors say was a scheme to illegally funnel money to a pro-Trump election committee and other U.S. political candidates.
The case involves Ukraine-born Lev Parnas and Belarus-born Igor Fruman, two Florida businessmen who have helped U.S. President Donald Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani investigate political rival Joe Biden. Prosecutors said Parnas and Fruman conspired to contribute foreign money including at least $1 million from an unidentified Russian businessman to candidates for federal and state offices to buy influence.
A Ukrainian-born U.S. businessman Andrey Kukushkin, who was a vice president of a Russian hedge fund before becoming involved in several marijuana-related businesses in California, was also arrested in the case and is scheduled to be arraigned with Correia.
Prosecutors separately said they donated $325,000 to a pro-Trump political action committee called America First Action in May 2018, and the money was falsely reported as coming from a purported natural gas company set up to conceal its true source, according to the indictment.
(Production: Hussein Waaile, Andrew Hofstetter, Catherine Koppel)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None