- Title: Merkel says Brexit deal still possible but we're not there yet
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL SPEAKING TO HER DEPUTY, FINANCE MINISTER OLAF SCHOLZ INTERIOR MINSTER HORST SEEHOFER OF THE CONSERVATIVE CSU IN DISCUSSION WITH PARLIAMENT VICE PRESIDENT AND FORMER GREENS LEADER CLAUDIA ROTH (SEEN FROM BACK) VARIOUS OF MERKEL WALKING TO HER SEAT
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 07:59
- Keywords: Angela Merkel Brexit hard orderly Bundestag parliament
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1HIKAV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: There has been significant movement in negotiations on Britain's departure from the European Union and a Brexit deal is still possible but that goal has not yet been reached, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Thursday.
"There has been movement in recent days, significant movement ... so we are on a better path than before but, today I must say very clearly, we have not reached the goal yet," Merkel told Germany's Bundestag lower house of parliament.
"So I cannot say today how the European Council will end tomorrow," she added ahead of a summit of European Union leaders. "But I can say that we will not allow hate and violence to flare up on the island of Ireland again due to a hard border."
(Production: Bettina Borgfeld, Michele Sani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None