- Title: China says hopes to reach phased trade pact with U.S. as early as possible
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) COMMERCE MINISTRY SPOKESMAN GAO FENG ARRIVING THE PRESSER (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) COMMERCE MINISTRY SPOKESMAN, GAO FENG, SAYING: "We hope both sides make joint efforts to push the negotiation to reach a phased agreement and make progress on canceling tariffs." JOURNALISTS TYPING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) COMMERCE MINISTRY SPOKESMAN, GAO FENG, SAYING: "Both sides made phased progress, which helped reduce uncertainty and restore market confidence. It is significant for stabilizing the current global economic situation." JOURNALIST ASKING QUESTIONS
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 10:41
- Keywords: USA China Trade War Trade talks
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics,International Trade
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1HGVGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Chinese commerce ministry said on Thursday (October 17) that China hoped to reach a phased agreement with the United States over trade as early as possible, and make progress on canceling tariffs on each others' goods.
A phased agreement would help restore market confidence and reduce uncertainty, Gao Feng, spokesman at the ministry, told reporters, adding that both sides were maintaining close communication.
On Oct. 11, U.S. President Donald Trump outlined the first phase of a deal to end a trade war with China and suspended a threatened tariff hike, but officials on both sides said much more work needed to be done before an accord could be agreed.
U.S. and Chinese trade negotiators are working on nailing down a Phase 1 trade deal text for their presidents to sign next month, U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Wednesday.
(Production: Fang Nanlin)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None