- Title: Thousands march in Barcelona in second day of students strike
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: SIGN BEING SPUN AROUND TO REVEAL MESSAGE, "ORIOL (JUNQUERAS) WE LOVE YOU"
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 11:07
- Keywords: Barcelona Spain Catalan separatist leaders protesters peaceful protest Catalan students student protest
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1HJJUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of students took to the streets of Barcelona on Thursday (October 17) to protest against Monday's (October 14) supreme court ruling that jailed nine Catalan separatist leaders for up to 13 years.
The sentence has triggered a series of violent protests over three nights which saw demonstrators cutting off access to Barcelona's airports, molotov cocktails being hurled and infrastructure being set alight in various cities in the region as police used foam projectiles to try to disperse the crowds.
Regional leader Quim Torra issued a televised address shortly after midnight on Thursday calling on protestors to stop the violence.
Addressing the regional parliament on Thursday, Torra said he wanted a proposal for a "Catalan republic" to be ready by spring of next year. Torra previously said a new vote would have to be held to decide on self-determination for Catalonia.
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Guillermo Martinez, Luis Felipe Fernandez, Miguel Pereira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.