- Title: Johnson "very confident" parliament will back Brexit deal
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) JOHNSON LEAVING
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 17:27
- Keywords: Boris Johnson Brexit summit Brexit reaction parliament vote
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA007B1HLU13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Prime Minister Boris Johnson expressed confidence on Thursday (October 17) that British lawmakers would back the Brexit deal he clinched with the European Union.
Johnson, the face of the 2016 campaign to leave the EU, brushed off suggestions he could not persuade enough lawmakers to pass the deal at the weekend after his allies, Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist Party, rejected his new agreement.
"I am very confident that when my colleagues in parliament study this agreement that they will want to vote for it on Saturday and in succeeding days," he told a news conference in Brussels.
Johnson's team hopes the threat of Britain leaving without a deal on his deadline of October 31 will concentrate minds in parliament, which rejected an agreement negotiated by his predecessor, Theresa May, three times.
(Production: Bart Biesemans, Johnny Cotton)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None