- Title: Merkel sees current deal as good solution with clear conditions
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) MEDIA
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 17:31
- Keywords: EU summit Brexit deal agreement Boris Johnson German Chancellor Angela Merkel
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1HM4AV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Chancellor Angela Merkel expressed her satisfaction on Thursday (October 17) after the European Union and the United Kingdom reached a new deal on Brexit.
All European leaders gave their unanimous backing to the deal, putting the onus on Prime Minister Boris Johnson to secure the British parliament's approval for the deal in a vote in two days' time.
British and EU negotiators reached the agreement after successive days of late-night talks and nearly three years of heated discussions that have strained EU-UK ties.
"Now it is clear. Britain will be a third country with whom a free-trade agreement will be negotiated quickly," Merkel told reporters at a news conference after the meeting.
Asked about the seating on Saturday, in which Johnson needs to secure the votes needed, she said no further conditions had been discussed in case the proposal was rejected.
The British Parliament defeated a previous deal struck by Johnson's predecessor, Theresa May, three times.
(Production Bart Biesemans, Elena Gyldenkerne)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None