- Title: Russia raises flag in border town across from Turkey
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: ZOR MAGAR, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM KARKAMIS, TURKEY) (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RUSSIAN FLAG FLAPPING ON A DESTROYED BUILDING IN THE KURDISH-CONTROLLED PART OF SYRIA, AS SEEN FROM THE TURKISH SIDE OF THE BORDER AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TURKISH ARMOURED MILITARY CONVOY DRIVING THROUGH BORDER TOWN OF AKCAKALE
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 13:45
- Keywords: Russia Syrian opposition border town Turkey YPG Syria Russian flag military operation Kurdish militia Zor Magar
- Location: ZOR MAGAR, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM KARKAMIS, TURKEY) / AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- City: ZOR MAGAR, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM KARKAMIS, TURKEY) / AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1HI0JR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Russian flag was seen on Thursday (October 17) waving on a demolished building in Zor Magar, a border town in Syria which was in control of Kurdish militant groups until a few days ago.
Russia has promised Ankara that the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia, which Turkey's military is targeting in an ongoing offensive will not be in the Syrian territories across the border, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu was quoted as saying.
The offensive which began when U.S. President Trump signed off on withdrawing U.S. troops in the region swiftly change battlefield lines in Syria's eight-year civil war. Within hours, Kurdish groups struck a deal with the Syrian government and Russian and Syrian military deployed to the areas where the U.S. troops had just abandoned.
Earlier on Thursday, Russia's foreign ministry spokeswoman said Syria should get control over its border with Turkey as part of any settlement of the conflict in the region.
Despite high profile diplomacy in Ankara on Wednesday (October 17), Turkey's military build-up on the border has not relented.
(Production: Mehmet Emin Caliskan, Dato Chkhikvishvili, Deniz Uyar)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None