- Title: Palestinians protest against Jewish settlements in West Bank
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: TURMUS AYYA, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS THROWING STONES TOWARD ISRAELI ARMY VEHICLE, ARMY VEHICLE DRIVING AWAY HITTING PALESTINIAN AMBULANCE ISRAELI SOLDIERS RUNNING TOWARD ARMY VEHICLE PALESTINIAN THROWING STONES ISRAELI SETTLERS THROWING STONES TOWARD PALESTINIANS ISRAELI SETTLERS AT SCENE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) FATAH POLITICAL ACTIVIST, JIHAD RAMADAN, SAYING: "It's a real war zone, that was triggered by the occupied forces which support the settler gangs, who are trying to take over more land that originally belonged to the Palestinians in Turmus Ayya or al-Mughayyir." ISRAELI SETTLERS GATHERING WHILE ISRAELI SOLDIERS REQUEST FOR THEM TO WALK AWAY SETTLERS WALKING DOWN FROM HILL ADEY AD, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) ISRAELI SOLDIERS ON HILL WATCHING THE CLASHES IN TURMUS AYYA VILLAGE ISRAELI SETTLERS GATHERING DURING SUKKOT HOLIDAY TO PROTEST AND CALLING TO KEEP THE LAND FOR ISRAELIS VARIOUS OF ISRAELI CHILDREN PLAYING SIGN READING IN HEBREW 'NO TO ARAB TAKEOVER, YES TO JEWISH SETTLEMENT'/ WOMEN TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) RAPHAEL MORRIS, 24-YEAR-OLD, FROM SETTLEMENT OF ACHIYA, SAYING: "We have two concerns first of all that it was very close to the village Amichay; it's only 50 meters away and it's very dangerous. Second of all it's our land. All the land of Israel is our land and we are supposed to build here a new village and not the Arabs." ISRAELI ARMY VEHICLES AT SITE MAN LOOKING THROUGH BINOCULARS TOWARDS CLASHES IN THE PALESTINIAN VILLAGE ISRAELI SETTLERS GATHERING AT SITE WHICH THEY SAY SHOULD BE USED TO BUILD A SETTLEMENT AND NOT A PALESTINIAN VILLAGE
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 14:38
- Keywords: clashes West Bank settlers Israeli army Palestinians land palestinian protest
- Location: TURMUS AYYA, ADEY AD, WEST BANK
- City: TURMUS AYYA, ADEY AD, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1HL747
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Israeli forces fired tear gas and rubber bullets on Thursday (October 17) at rock-throwing Palestinians protesting against land seizures for Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank.
Land seizures are among the disputes stalling peace efforts.
Around a dozen of the hundreds of Palestinians gathered in the village of Turmus Ayya were injured, witnesses said. An Israeli army spokesman had no immediate comment.
Protesting Israeli settlers gathered on the hill that views Turmus Ayya and called on the Israeli government to build a new settlement.
Most countries consider all of the settlements built on land that Israel captured in the 1967 Middle East war to be illegal. Israel disputes this.
Some 500,000 Israelis live in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, areas that are also home to more than 2.6 million Palestinians. Palestinians say rapid settlement expansion in recent years could deny them a viable and contiguous state.
(Production: Rami Amichay,Ismail Khadder, Suheir Sheikh, Roleen Tafakji)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None