- Title: Pro-independence groups hold protest march in Barcelona
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PROTESTERS CHANT, CLAP AND MAKES OBSCENE GESTURES VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS THROWING ROLLS OF TOILET PAPER IN TO THE AIR PROTESTER STANDING ON SOMEONEâ€™S SHOULDERS, FILMS THE SCENE PROTESTERS SINGING WHILE THEY THROW TOILET PAPER PROTESTER STANDING ON SOMEONEâ€™S SHOULDERS WITH CAMERA, ENCOURAGING THE CROWD STREAMS OF TOILET PAPER HANGING FROM THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CHANTING AND CLAPPING PROTESTERS JUMPING UP AND DOWN PROTESTERS RAISING THEIR HANDS IN THE AIR PROTESTERS HOLDING UP BANNERS PROTESTER HOLDING UP A LIGHT IN A BOX VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS FORMING A HUMAN PYRAMID PROTESTERS WITH A BIG BALL OF PAPER STREAMERS
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 03:23
- Keywords: Barcelona Spain Catalan separatist leaders protesters riot police peaceful protest
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1HJI9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE IN SHOT 1: PROTESTERS MAKE OBSCENE GESTURES
Pro-independence groups began protest marches in Catalonia on Wednesday (October 16) against the jailing of nine separatist leaders, despite a new warning by the Spanish government that it will step in if needed to guarantee security.
The protests began peacefully, but by evening protesters set cars on fire and threw petrol bombs at police in the Spanish city of Barcelona.
The government said it would act firmly but proportionately to keep order after protesters threw cans, stones and flares at baton-wielding police and set garbage cans ablaze on Tuesday (October 15) in Barcelona, the regional capital. Thirty were arrested.
The confrontations are a challenge both for the northeastern region's pro-independence leader, Quim Torra, and the Madrid-based Spanish government led by acting Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez.
(Production: Marco Trujillo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None