- Title: Road blocks in Catalonia as general strike kicks-off
- Date: 18th October 2019
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) DOZENS OF PROTESTERS BLOCKING BARCELONA'S DIAGONAL AVENUE, ONE OF THE CITY'S MAIN AVENUES PROTESTERS SEATED ON ROAD HOLDING CATALAN SEPARATISTS 'ESTELADA' FLAG PROTESTERS ON ROAD, BUSES IN THE BACKGROUND GROUP OF MILITARY JOGGING, PROTESTERS SHOUTING AND WHISTLING AT THEM PROTESTERS BLOCKING ROAD VARIOUS OF EMPTY AVENUE BLOCKED ROAD VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS ON ROAD
- Embargoed: 1st November 2019 06:59
- Keywords: general strike in Catalonia Barcelona Spain blocked roads protesters Catalan protests convicted separatist leaders
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1MJXVR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters in Catalonia blocked roads on Friday (October 18) morning as a general strike kicked-off in the region following four days of violent protests over a supreme court ruling on Monday (October 14) that convicted nine Catalan separatist leaders over their 2017 role in a failed independence drive.
In Barcelona, dozens of people sat on Diagonal Avenue, one of the Catalan capital's main streets, holding separatist flags and chanting slogans.
Since the court decision, the divided region has experienced the worst sustained street violence in Spain in decades.
The general strike coincides with the arrival in Barcelona of thousands of peaceful protesters who set off from different parts Catalonia on foot three days ago.
Strikers and separatists are expected to stage various protest throughout the day.
(Production: Guillermo Martinez, Silvio Castellanos, Miguel Gutierrez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None