- Title: Peruvians parade their patron Lord of Miracles through Lima's streets
- Date: 18th October 2019
- Summary: PEOPLE KNEELING IN STREET, PRAYING LORD OF MIRACLES ICON
- Embargoed: 1st November 2019 20:12
- Keywords: Peruvian Lord of Miracles President Lima Peru Martin Vizcarra devotees tradition religion Catholic
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- City: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA006B1MLH6R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of worshippers dressed in purple robes paraded a revered icon through Peru's capital on Friday (October 18) in a tradition dating from 1687 when a mural depicting the same image of Jesus Christ escaped unscathed in a powerful earthquake.
The procession of the Senor de los Milagros (Lord of Miracles), a mural picturing a dark-skinned Jesus that is said to have been painted in a shrine by an Angolan slave, has drawn crowds of Roman Catholic devotees for centuries.
The icon is a copy of the mural, which is revered for its powers to cure the sick and protect against tremors in the Andean country.
Originally worshipped by Afro-Peruvians, the Senor de los Milagros has become Peru's best-known icon and has inspired worshipers around the world.
President Pedro Martin Vizcarra saluted the icon, leaving the government palace to do so.
(Production: Carlos Valdez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.