- Title: Brussels court to hear Puigdemont arrest warrant case on October 29
- Date: 18th October 2019
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) NEWS CONFERENCE STARTING AT BRUSSELS' PROSECUTOR'S OFFICE CAMERAS SPOKESPEOPLE OF BRUSSELS PROSECUTOR'S OFFICE TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (French) BRUSSELS PROSECUTOR OFFICE SPOKESPERSON, DENIS GOEMAN, SAYING: "Carles Puigdemont presented himself voluntarily to the Brussels federal police. He was deprived of his liberty. In the presence of his lawyer, he was notified of a European arrest warrant. As the procedure requires, Brussels' public prosecutors' office then requested an investigating judge to apply the European arrest warrant." JOURNALISTS LISTENING / SPOKESPEOPLE TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (French) BRUSSELS PROSECUTOR OFFICE SPOKESPERSON, DENIS GOEMAN, SAYING: "The investigating judge decided this morning to release Carles Puigdemont with certain conditions. Amongst them, he can't leave the country and must remain reachable at all times. The hearing in the Brussels Chamber of Council is scheduled for October 29, 2019. It will be up to the Council Chamber to decide whether or not to apply this European warrant." JOURNALIST USING SMARTPHONE NEWS CONFERENCE ENDING SIGN FOR BRUSSELS PUBLIC PROSECUTOR'S OFFICE EXTERIOR OF BRUSSELS PUBLIC PROSECUTOR'S OFFICE
- Embargoed: 1st November 2019 13:58
- Keywords: Carles Puigdemont prosecutors arrest warrant Catalonia independance referendum
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1MLAVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A Brussels court, which will rule on whether to accept an arrest warrant issued by Spain for former Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont, will convene on October 29, the Brussels prosecutor said on Friday (October 18).
Puigdemont presented himself to Belgian police earlier on Friday, prompting his arrest. A judge ruled that he could be released, but on condition that he does not leave Belgium and remains reachable.
(Production Natasha Bowler and Bart Biesemans)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None