- Title: Demonstrators clash with security forces in Beirut
- Date: 18th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PEACEFUL PROTEST EARLIER IN THE EVENING
- Embargoed: 1st November 2019 20:36
- Keywords: Lebanon Beirut removal of political elite tear gas protesters
- Location: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1MMKP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Security forces fired tear gas and chased down protesters in Beirut on Friday (October 18) as tens of thousands of people across Lebanon marched to demand the removal of a political elite they accuse of looting the economy to the point of collapse.
Riot police in vehicles and on foot rounded up a number of protesters, according to Reuters witnesses. They fired rubber bullets and tear gas canisters, dispersing demonstrators in Beirut's commercial district.
Addressing protesters, Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri blamed his partners in government for obstructing reforms that could have resolved the economic crisis and gave them a 72-hour deadline to stop blocking him, otherwise hinting he may resign.
He said Lebanon was going through an "unprecedented, difficult time".
Lebanese from all sects and walks of life have come out on to the streets, waving banners and chanting slogans urging Hariri's government to go.
Lebanon's biggest protests in a decade recall the 2011 Arab revolts that toppled four presidents.
(Production: Yara Abi Nader, Alaa Kanaan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.