- Title: Israeli forces shoot dead Palestinian at West Bank checkpoint
- Date: 18th October 2019
- Summary: TULKAREM, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) MEMBERS OF THE ISRAELI FORCES STANDING AT CHECKPOINT, AMBULANCE PARKED VARIOUS OF ISRAELI FORCES AT SCENE, BLACK SHEET COVERING DECEASED BODY OF PALESTINIAN ON GROUND AMBULANCE AT SCENE VARIOUS OF ISRAELI FORCES VEHICLE AT SCENE
- Embargoed: 1st November 2019 20:33
- Keywords: Israeli forces Palestinian knife military checkpoint occupied West Bank Israel
- Location: TULKAREM, WEST BANK
- City: TULKAREM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1MMGQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli forces shot a Palestinian man carrying a knife near a military checkpoint in the occupied West Bank on Friday (October 18), Israel's defence ministry said.
Palestinian officials said the man died of his injuries.
Israel's defence ministry said he ran towards a checkpoint between Israel and the central West Bank city of Tulkarem "with a knife in hand, with the apparent intention of attacking security personnel".
The ministry said in a statement that one of the forces called on the attacker to stop, "and upon his failure to do so ... fired toward and neutralized" him.
The Palestinian health ministry identified the individual as a Palestinian national and said he had died of his injuries. Palestinian officials did not immediately provide further details.
The West Bank has seen simmering violence since U.S.-sponsored peace talks with Israel broke down in 2014.
Israel captured the West Bank in the 1967 Middle East war. Palestinians seek to establish a state there and in the Gaza Strip, with East Jerusalem as its capital.
(Production: Ashraf Abu Shaweesh, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None