- Title: Hong Kong protesters stage masked human chain in defiance of ban
- Date: 18th October 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) HONG KONG PROTESTER WHO CALLS HERSELF "STATUE", SAYING: "The Hong Kong Lady Liberty, she has a hard hat, goggles, gas mask, and this is the gas mask. There is also a flag and an umbrella, those are the symbols of this protest, of this movement. This time, a lot of Hong Kong people have come out because they are fighting for Hong Kong's freedom and democracy. Most of them are young people." VARIOUS OF LADY LIBERTY STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) HONG KONG PROTESTER WHO CALLS HERSELF "STATUE", SAYING: "The system we're having now is unfair and I will live under this system in the future if I don't take to the streets now. What am I still waiting for? Many people think that when other people come out there's no need for themselves to come out. There will always be someone who will do it. If everyone thought that way, who would be left?" PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER
- Embargoed: 1st November 2019 16:52
- Keywords: Hong Kong China human chain demonstration protest mask ban
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA005B1MGSW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters formed a human chain outside metro stations on Friday (October 18) night, asking people to wear face masks in defiance of the ban.
Protesters wore Jimmy Sham face masks, with a banner reading: "We are all Jimmy Sham. Je Suis Jimmy Sham."
The human chain was planned to stretch a 40 km (25 miles) along the city's metro, with many people wearing humorous and eccentric masks in defiance on a ban on covering faces at public rallies. Wearing a face mask at a public rally carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail.
Hong Kong has been relatively calm for the past week, with only small, often colourful demonstrations. The march planned for Sunday (October 20) will test the strength of the pro-democracy campaign, which in past months has rallied millions onto the streets.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Fabian Hamacher, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None