- Title: Hong Kong protesters stage masked human chain in defiance of ban
- Date: 18th October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER READING (Chinese, English, French): "We are all Jimmy Sham! Je suis Jimmy Sham", SHOUTING (English): "YOU PASS THE LAW, WE START A WAR!" PROTESTERS WEARING MASK OF GUY FAWKES AND CIVIL HUMAN RIGHTS FRONT LEADER JIMMY SHAM PROTESTERS WEARING MASKS OF SHAM AND WINNIE THE POOH PROTESTERS HOLDING HANDS IN HUMAN CHAIN PROTESTER WEARING GUY FAWKES MASK PROTESTERS WALKING IN HUMAN CHAIN PROTESTERS WEARING GUY FAWKES MASKS PROTESTERS GATHERING SHINING LIGHTS FROM MOBILE PHONES MASKED PROTESTER HOLDING PHONE WITH SCREEN READING (English): "STAND WITH CATALONIA" (SOUNDBITE) (English) HONG KONG PROTESTER, BRIAN, 27, SAYING: "This mask means we have freedom, we have the right to have freedom for staying in Hong Kong and we should enjoy the right and also, we shouldn't be taken any, any of the rights we have originally because of any reason." VARIOUS OF PROTESTER WEARING CHINESE LEADER XI JINPING MASK
- Embargoed: 1st November 2019 16:52
- Keywords: Hong Kong China human chain demonstration protest mask ban
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1MGSW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters formed a human chain outside metro stations on Friday (October 18) night, asking people to wear face masks in defiance of the ban.
Protesters wore Jimmy Sham face masks, with a banner reading: "We are all Jimmy Sham. Je Suis Jimmy Sham."
The human chain was planned to stretch a 40 km (25 miles) along the city's metro, with many people wearing humorous and eccentric masks in defiance on a ban on covering faces at public rallies. Wearing a face mask at a public rally carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail.
Hong Kong has been relatively calm for the past week, with only small, often colourful demonstrations. The march planned for Sunday (October 20) will test the strength of the pro-democracy campaign, which in past months has rallied millions onto the streets.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Fabian Hamacher, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None