- Title: Italy retrieves two bodies from Oct. 7 migrant shipwreck
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: LAMPEDUSA, ITALY (OCTOBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) COASTGUARD PATROL ARRIVING AT LAMPEDUSA PORT COFFIN BEING LIFTED ON TRUCK / COASTGUARD PATROL VARIOUS OF COFFINS ON TRUCK MEDICAL STAFF GETTING OFF AMBULANCE MEDICAL STAFF ENTERING CEMETERY
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 17:43
- Keywords: Mediterranean Sea Lampedusa island search and rescue migrants
- Location: LAMPEDUSA, ITALY
- City: LAMPEDUSA, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1RIJ47
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Recovery teams retrieved two bodies from the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea on Saturday (October 19), more than a week after a crowded migrant boat capsized off the coast of the Italian island of Lampedusa.
The coffins containing the two bodies were transferred by a truck to Lampedusa's cemetery.
Investigators are taking bone samples from the bodies of seven migrants, including one child, that were retrieved on Thursday (October 17). The samples will be used to try and identify those who drowned.
On the day of the shipwreck, October 7, the bodies of 13 women were recovered and the coastguard said 13 men and women had survived the sinking of the boat.
The boat, which appeared to have started its trip in and stopped in neighbouring Tunisia, was carrying more than 50 people at the time Libya of the disaster.
(Production: Guglielmo Mangiapane, Oriana Boselli, Alessandro Felici)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None