- Title: Salvini's right rallies in Rome to protest Italy government
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) LEAGUE LEADER, MATTEO SALVINI, SAYING: "I think, as we did well to demonstrate (our) concreteness (when we were) at the government, we did the best thing abandoning this government, when we were assured that the tax cut would never have been done. Because it could have waited. The only way to restart this country and give hope to our children, is to lower taxes to those who work and to those who produce, (and to do it) now. Now. " RALLY IN PROGRESS LEAGUE LEADER, MATTEO SALVINI, WELCOMING FORMER ITALIAN PRIME MINISTER, SILVIO BERLUSCONI ON STAGE / SALVINI AND BERLUSCONI SHAKING HANDS PEOPLE APPLAUDING (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) FORMER ITALIAN PRIME MINISTER, SILVIO BERLUSCONI SAYING: "Be assured, be sure of it, soon, very soon, we will be the ones to govern our Italy. And so let's all say together: long live the League, long live Brothers of Italy, long live Go Italy! Long live our team and our People of Freedom." PEOPLE WAVING FLAGS LEAGUE SUPPORTER POSING FOR CAMERAS HOLDING LEAGUE BANNER RALLY IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) LEGAL ADVISOR FROM NIGERIA, MARK ADENIGI, SAYING: "I am here today, to support our captain, Matteo Salvini, and also to change this government because nobody voted for it." (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) EMANUELE GIACCONE, 46 YEARS OLD, SAYING: "I came here because I am against this administration which asks for too many taxes. I no longer want to deal with taxes, or rather I want to pay the right amount of taxes, but not all these taxes that drain us up every day." (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) BUSINESS WOMAN, MANUELA FERRARI, 53 YEARS OLD, SAYING: "I came here because I want to vote, I want Italy belonging to Italians and I don't want some self-proclaimed administrators, who decide every move in favour of banks and large multinationals. I am here with Italians, as a good Italian."
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 16:49
- Keywords: Matteo Salvini League Rome politics Italy Silvio Berlusconi rally
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003B1RIKP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Tens of thousands of supporters of Italy's right-wing opposition parties, spearheaded by Matteo Salvini's League which was ousted from power two months ago, gathered in central Rome on Saturday (October 19) to protest against the new government.
The crowd waving League and Italian flags filled Piazza San Giovanni, traditionally a venue for leftist and trade union rallies, as Salvini and his allies spoke from a stage against a huge backdrop reading "Italian Pride."
Salvini was preceded on the stage by 83-year-old former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, whose conservative Forza Italia party has steadily lost support in recent years, and Giorgia Meloni, who heads the far-right Brothers of Italy party.
Opinions polls show the League has lost some support since Salvini brought down the previous government, but it remains easily Italy's most popular party, with around 30% of the vote.
(Production: Carmelo Camilli, Oriana Boselli, Alessandro Felici)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None