- Title: Jonny May praised after England rout Australia in World Cup quarter-finals
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: OITA, JAPAN (OCTOBER 19, 2019) (AGENCY POOL) ENGLAND SCRUMHALF, BEN YOUNGS, IN MIXED ZONE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND SCRUMHALF, BEN YOUNGS, SAYING: "Yeah, look, the team is unbelievably proud and pleased. I thought the way that we stuck at it, stayed in the fight. At times, Australia had big momentums, but we were able to nullify that. For me, I'm really proud of this group and how much work we've done to be able to get the performance out there." YOUNGS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND SCRUMHALF, BEN YOUNGS, ON WING, JONNY MAY'S, PERFORMANCE, SAYING: "That's Jonny for you, you know. The guy is blessed with unbelievable pace. You know, you only have to give him an opportunity and he's an out and out finisher. You know, on his 50th cap, what a day to remember for him. So, I'm very, very proud of him and very pleased for him." ENGLAND CENTRE, HENRY SLADE, IN MIXED ZONE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND CENTRE, HENRY SLADE, SAYING: "Yeah I just didn't have the legs to make it myself. I just looked to my left and saw Jonny (May) and then obviously he's one of the quickest players in the world. And obviously if there's that a bit of space out there I know that not many people are going to catch him. So I just put it there, and he did well to finish." ENGLAND PROP, JOE MARLER, IN MIXED ZONE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND LOCK, COURTNEY LAWES, SAYING: "Yeah, Jonny's (May) obviously a massive part of our team. I think across the board we've got unbelievable players. And then even, you know, Jack Nowell and 'Launchers' (Joe Launchbury). We've got players everywhere that aren't even involved that could take the field of any team, any team in the World Cup." ENGLAND PROP, KYLE SINCKLER, IN MIXED ZONE (SOUNDBITE) (English) AUSTRALIA CENTRE, SAMU KEREVI, SAYING: "I think you know we've enjoyed being at this level and we deserve to be here. But you know, like I said, England really played well tonight. They just beat us at the punch at certain points. And, you know, we're not having any excuses. You know, we miss couple of opportunities out there. But again, I'm super proud of the boys and sure proud of what we've done here."
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 14:05
- Keywords: England Henry Slade semi-finals Ben Youngs Rugby World Cup RWC Samu Kerevi Courtney Lawes quarter-finals
- Location: OITA, JAPAN
- City: OITA, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Rugby Union,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1RGJZZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Winger Jonny May's two tries in three first-half minutes received praise from team mates as England underlined their Rugby World Cup credentials with a dominant 40-16 win over Australia on Saturday (October 19) to set up a semi-final against New Zealand.
Four years after the Wallabies sent England packing out of their own tournament, Eddie Jones's side gained a measure of revenge while extending their winning streak over the Australians to seven matches.
England, who scored four tries in all to Australia's one, have now won three out of three World Cup quarter-finals against Australia following their upset wins in 1995 and 2007.
(Production: Stefan Haskins)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None