- Title: Defiance amidst damage on streets of Lebanon
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MASKED PROTESTER SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD MAKING PEACE SIGN NEXT TO PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 09:27
- Keywords: Lebanon protests protests in Lebanon Lebanese protesters politics
- Location: BEIRUT, TRIPOLI AND MARJAYOUN, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, TRIPOLI AND MARJAYOUN, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1RI79J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The streets of Beirut and Tripoli were in disarray on Saturday (October 19) after demonstrations against austerity in Lebanon turned violent overnight and activists gathered to protest for a third day.
Security forces fired tear gas and chased down protesters in Beirut on Friday (October 18) after tens of thousands of people across Lebanon marched to demand the demise of a political elite they accuse of looting the economy to the point of collapse.
Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri blamed his partners in government for obstructing reforms that could ward off economic crisis and gave them a 72-hour deadline to stop blocking him, otherwise hinting he may resign.
In a country fractured along sectarian lines, the unusually wide geographic reach of the protests highlights the deepening anger of the Lebanese. The government, which includes nearly all Lebanon's main parties, has repeatedly failed to implement the reforms needed to fix the national finances.
Lebanon's biggest protests in a decade recall the 2011 Arab revolts that toppled four presidents.
(Production: Imad Creidi, Sarah Duffy)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.