- Title: Protesters gather in Barcelona to demonstrate against police repression
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE ADVANCING AND PUSHING SOME DEMONSTRATORS, RIOT POLICE HITTING PROTESTERS WITH BATONS, PROTESTERS WITH HANDS UP RIOT POLICE REGROUPING DEMONSTRATORS VARIOUS OF CATALAN RIOT POLICE ARRIVING TO URQUINAONA SQUARE RIOT POLICE VANS DRIVING RIOT POLICE LINE, PROTESTERS WITH HANDS UP RIOT POLICE VANS, PROTESTERS WITH HANDS UP, RIOT POLICE VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE LINE MOVING BACK PROTESTERS CHANTING AND CLAPPING, RIOT POLICE VAN PASSING BY RIOT POLICE VANS, PROTESTERS PASSING BY VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING (in Catalan) "STREETS WILL ALWAYS BE OURS", SIGN READING (in Spanish) "ALTHOUGH OUR IDEAS ARE NOT THE SAME, I'LL DEFEND WITH MY LIFE YOUR RIGHT TO EXPRESS THEM" (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LAWYER PROTESTING, MARIA TERESA VALLVERDU, SAYING: "It is true that the situation is getting out of control, but it is getting of control as a result of increased repression. The more they repress us (the police), the more opposition they will get from us. Dialogue is not an option at the moment, but it is still the only way because if they don't accept it this way, I think this situation will worsen." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FREELANCE PROTESTING, HEIKO, SAYING: "Having to be (in prison) for 100 years solely for asking people to express their opinion on their political idea on the future of Catalans cannot be normal. In other European countries, for this, you don't receive a violation, penalty or anything." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ENGLISH TEACHER PROTESTING, ALEJANDRA TESTON, SAYING: "Barcelona's image cannot be of violence. I think there are many people that are very tired, the path of peace and dialogue did not work. When there is fire and garbage containers in flames, the world reacts and listens to what is happening in Barcelona." SPANISH POLICE HELICOPTER DEMONSTRATORS PASSING BY AND CHANTING "CATALONIA ANTI-FASCIST" MAN HOLDING A SIGN READING (Spanish): "FASCIST STATE, YOU ARE THE TERRORISTS" PROTESTERS CHANTING "BUCH RESIGN" AND HOLDING A SIGN VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS PASSING BY RIOT POLICE PROTESTERS WITH SIGN READING (Spanish): "FASCIST THIEVES, CORRUPT DEMOCRACY", RIOT POLICE VANS IN THE BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE IN FRONT OF PROTESTERS PROTESTERS CHANTING AND CLAPPING PROTESTERS GATHERED
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 18:34
- Keywords: Spain Catalonia catalan separatists pro-independence riot police catalan protests
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1RJDXJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Heavy police presence in central Barcelona on Saturday (October 19) following the worst night of urban unrest in decades on Friday (October 18).
Demonstrators gathered in different parts of the Catalan capital on the sixth day of protests against the Spain's Supreme Court sentence over nine separatist leaders who staged a banned referendum on independence in 2017.
Protesters said that the situation has gotten out of control as a result of increased repression by the police and that violence may be the only way for the world to act on what they believe is an unjust sentence.
Riot police patrolled Urquinaona square, where demonstrators first gathered on Saturday. Police was seen hitting protesters with batons to regroup them.
Heavy police presence was also seen in front of the Catalan's regional High Court, where another group of protesters gathered.
(Production: Rodrigo Gutierrez, Marco Trujillo, Miguel Gutierrez, Luis Felipe Fernandez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None