- Title: Protesters demand second referendum on Johnson's big Brexit day
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: MORRIS DANCERS IN CROWD DJ PLAYING MUSIC, PROTESTERS HOLDING PLACARD READING (English): "BEATS NOT BREXIT"
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 14:21
- Keywords: Brexit deal protest Boris Johnson protesters London demonstration remainers House of Commons vote 'super Saturday'
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1RIWJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE TEXT ON PROTESTER'S HEADGEAR IN SHOT 6
Hundreds of thousands of Britons marched through London on Saturday (October 19) to demand a new Brexit referendum, saying their views were being ignored as lawmakers in parliament decided the fate of Britain's departure from the European Union.
The protesters, some having travelled for hours from around the United Kingdom to get to the capital, waved EU flags under sunny skies and held placards that employed creativity and wit.
The crowd clogged vast stretches of central London, with thousands of people waiting to begin the march at Hyde Park by the time others had reached parliament where lawmakers held the first Saturday session since the 1982 Falklands war.
"We need to change our minds. It's absolutely essential that whatever nonsense is going on in the palace of Westminster today, we the people need to give our opinion on it. And for me, that means stay(ing) in Europe for the sake of my children," said protester Kate Noaks, wearing blue and yellow accessories to match the march's countless EU flags.
After more than three years of tortuous debate, it is still uncertain how, when or even if Brexit will happen as Prime Minister Boris Johnson tries to pass his new Brexit deal and plots a way out of the deepest political crisis in a generation.
(Production: Iona Serrapica, Martin Schlicht)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.