- Title: Italy's Salvini opens opposition rally in Rome
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: LEAGUE SUPPORTERS WAVING LEAGUE AND ITALIAN FLAGS MATTEO SALVINI RECORDING VIDEO WITH MOBILE PHONE WOMAN HOLDING BANNER READING (Italian) "SALVINI PRIME MINISTER, ITALIAN PRIDE!" MATTEO SALVINI LEAVING STAGE LEAGUE SUPPORTERS WAVING LEAGUE FLAGS
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 12:46
- Keywords: Matteo Salvini League Rome politics Italy
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1RIJWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tens of thousands of supporters of Italy's right-wing opposition parties, spearheaded by Matteo Salvini's League, gathered in central Rome on Saturday (October 19) to protest against the new government formed last month.
Salvini briefly greeted his thousands of supporters who gathered in Piazza San Giovanni in Laterano before leaving the stage.
The League governed with the anti-establishment 5-Star Movement for 14 months before Salvini pulled down the coalition in August, in an attempt to trigger early elections and cash in on his surging popularity.
However, in a shock move, 5-Star hooked up with its former arch enemy, the pro-European Democratic Party (PD), to create a new administration and leave Salvini languishing in opposition.
Opinions polls suggest Salvini's League has lost support since he brought down the previous government, but it remains the country's most popular party, with about 30% of the vote.
However, the combined backing of the PD, 5-Star and other allied leftist and centrist groups is roughly the same as the support for the rightist parties gathered at Saturday's rally.
(Production: Carmelo Camilli, Oriana Boselli, Alessandro Felici)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.