- Title: English rugby fans jubilant as their team down Wallabies 40-16
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: OITA, JAPAN (OCTOBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED ENGLISH RUGBY FANS SAYING: "Yeah, come on, England are winning the final. Come on" VARIOUS OF ENGLISH FANS CHEERING, LEAVING STADIUM AFTER BEATING AUSTRALIA IN THEIR RUGBY WORLD CUP QUARTER-FINAL (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLISH RUGBY FAN, DAVE SAYING (ON LEFT): "Revenge is a dish best served cold, on a British platter." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLISH RUGBY FAN, MIKE SAYING: "If we keep going, All Blacks, maybe in the semi-final, who knows?" FAN ON RIGHT WITH GLASSES SAYING: "They go to the final." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLISH RUGBY FAN, IAIN SAYING: "Oh, yeah, he's done a good job. He's built a team." (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED AUSTRALIAN RUGBY FAN, INTERRUPTS, SAYING: "Next time, we're going to kill it." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLISH RUGBY FAN, IAIN SAYING: "Yeah, but the Aussies are all going home, so we're happy." FANS CHEERING AS THEY LEAVE STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLISH RUGBY FAN, STAN SAYING: "Very pleased, very pleased indeed. A little bit of revenge for 2015." (SOUNDBITE) (English) AUSTRALIAN RUGBY FAN, GLEN PATTON, SAYING: "Itâ€™s all about the Australian fighting spirit, right. We'll be back. You know, whether the next World Cup's in France we'll be back without a doubt and there'll be a while lot of fans there supporting us, don't you worry about that." FANS LEAVING STADIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) AUSTRALIAN RUGBY FAN, WAYNE CAMERON SAYING: "England had too much control. Too much class. They did some really good stuff. We showed good glimpses, but pressure got to us in the end. They had the lead and you can't give England the lead, they just take it. They control from there." VARIOUS OF RUGBY WORLD CUP VOLUNTEERS WAVING AT FANS LEAVING STADIUM
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 11:32
- Keywords: rugby England Australia Japan World Cup Jonny May Oita
- Location: OITA, JAPAN
- City: OITA, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Rugby Union,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1RGKSF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: English rugby fans were jubilant leaving Oita stadium following their team's dominant win over Australia in the Rugby World Cup quarter-final on Saturday (October 19).
Winger Jonny May scored two tries in three first-half minutes as England underlined their World Cup credentials with a 40-16 win over Australia to set up a semi-final against New Zealand or Ireland.
Four years after the Wallabies sent England packing out of their own tournament, Eddie Jones's side gained a measure of revenge while extending their winning streak over the Australians to seven matches.
Australia played a full part in an engrossing contest but in the end were well beaten by a team who defended stoutly, took their chances ruthlessly and had a flyhalf in Owen Farrell who
managed the game maturely and kicked flawlessly for 20 points.
England, who scored four tries in all to Australia's one, have now won three out of three World Cup quarter-finals against Australia following their upset wins of 1995 and 2007 and will move on with confidence to the clash with the All Blacks or Ireland, who play later on Saturday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None