- Title: Vivienne Westwood joins Extinction Rebellion protest outside BP headquarters
- Date: 18th October 2019
- Summary: PROTESTERS SINGING
- Embargoed: 1st November 2019 10:32
- Keywords: Extinction Rebellion Vivienne Westwood protest fashion BP West Papua climate change
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1MKWNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Fashion designer Vivienne Westwood joined Extinction Rebellion in a protest outside BP's headquarters in London on Friday (October 18).
She was accompanied by her son Joe Carre, chairman of the United Liberation Movement for West Papua Benny Wenda and spokesperson for the Free West Papua campaign Raki Ap.
They were delivering a report on the company's activities in West Papua, according to a press release from organisers.
Extinction Rebellion is in the second week of a civil disobedience campaign that has targeted government buildings, an airport and financial institutions to highlight the threat posed by global warming.
Protesters said they wanted to draw attention to the widespread loss of human life, mass extinction of species and threat to food supplies foreseen by scientists unless the world moves to cut carbon emissions and restore collapsing ecosystems.
(Production: Martin Schlicht, Will Russell, Helena Williams)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS