- Title: Silver santa helps kicks off Christmas shop window display
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) MAN DRESSED AS SILVER FATHER CHRISTMAS ON SCOOTER/ WAVING FATHER CHRISTMAS LOOKING AT CHRISTMAS WINDOW, DESCRIBED AS CINDERELLA'S BALL GOWN WORKER FINISHING CHRISTMAS WINDOW DISPLAY FATHER CHRISTMAS POSING OUTSIDE WINDOW WITH SCOOTER WORKER COMPLETING CHRISTMAS WINDOW DISPLAY FATHER CHRISTMAS ON SCOOTER/TURNS SCOOTS AWAY SIGN READING (English) 'Selfridge & Co' EXTERIOR OF SELFRIDGES STORE, WOMEN LOOKING AT WINDOW DISPLAY VARIOUS OF FATHER CHRISTMAS ON SCOOTER/WAVING WHILE PASSING WINDOW (SOUNDBITE) (English) SELFRIDGES' SENIOR CREATIVE LEAD, MORAG HICKMOTT, SAYING: ''So at Selfridges' this year, in the windows the theme is future fantasies, so it's a Christmas for modern times, so in each window we have taken a favourite fairy tale and we have re-imagined it in a modern way for each window.'' CHRISTMAS WINDOW, DESCRIBED AS 'PRINCESS AND THE PEA' SIGN READING (English) 'Future Fantasy. A Christmas of modern times.' PEOPLE WALKING ALONG OXFORD STREET (SOUNDBITE) (English) SELFRIDGES' SENIOR CREATIVE LEAD, MORAG HICKMOTT, SAYING: ''So yeah we use Christmas as a way to attract people into the store, so if there's something on the outside of the building that's really exciting to see and feels festive, then we hope that that means people will come in store or go online to have a look at what we have available.'' CHRISTMAS WINDOW, DESCRIBED AS 'THE GIANTS FOOT - JACK AND THE BEANSTALK' PEOPLE LOOKING AT CHRISTMAS WINDOW DISPLAY CHRISTMAS WINDOW, SHOWING JACKETS TOURISTS LORENZO NICOLOSI AND ALBERTA AVANZI WALKING ALONG STREET/ CHRISTMAS WINDOW DESCRIBED AS 'RAPUNZEL' (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURISTS FROM ITALY LORENZO NICOLOSI AND ALBERTA AVANZI, SAYING: Nicolosi: ''I think they are beautiful actually, very nice, very festive and very well made, nice...'' Avanzi: ''Also really modern.'' Nicolosi: ''Yeah, I mean.'' Avanzi: ''Actual.'' Nicolosi: ''We like them.'' PEOPLE LOOKING AT CHRISTMAS WINDOW (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURISTS FROM DENMARK, KIM ROLSTD AND FREDERIK ROLSD, SAYING: Kim Rolstd: ''I think it will look nice in the evening when it's darke.r'' Reporter: ''And what about you, have you been impressed by what you see?'' Frederik Rolstd: ''Yeah I think it's beautiful but it's more like Halloween time now so it's a bit too early.''
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 13:00
- Keywords: Selfridges Christmas Father Christmas festive
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1HL2E1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A man dressed as Father Christmas in a silver outfit scooted along Oxford Street in London on Thursday (October 17, 2019), there to help draw attention to department store Selfridges' new Christmas windows.
As well as amusing passers-by he stood in front of some of the windows as store workers added a few final touches to the displays.
''So at Selfridges' this year the theme is Future Fantasies,'' Senior Creative Lead Morag Hickmott explained to Reuters.
''It's a Christmas for modern times so in each window we have taken a favourite fairy tale and we have re-imagined it in a modern way for each window.''
This year's theme - 'A Christmas For Modern Times' - features references to several fairy tales including 'Jack and the Beanstalk' and Cinderella'.
Lorenzo Nicolosi, a tourist visiting London from Italy for work was impressed: ''I think they are beautiful actually, very nice, very festive and very well made, nice''
Danish tourist Frederik Rolstd was a bit surprised to see a Christmas display in October: ''I think it's beautiful but it's more like Halloween time now so it's a bit too early.''
Selfridges is well known for its Christmas windows that can be seen in its stores across the UK.
Guests who do venture into the London store will also get to see a 13-meter-high mirrored Christmas tree in the atrium.
(Production: Will Russell, Sarah Mills)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None