- Title: Jane Fonda arrested on Capitol Hill
- Date: 18th October 2019
- Summary: WASHINGTON D.C., UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) POLICE HANDCUFFING ACTOR AND ACTIVIST JANE FONDA VARIOUS/ FONDA IN PLASTIC HANDCUFFS / FONDA LIFTING HANDCUFFED ARMS UP FOR PROTESTERS, CAMERAS FONDA LIFTING UP ARM RELEASED FROM PLASTIC HANDCUFF, SHOWING FREE ARM, SMILING WIDE OF FONDA STANDING HANDCUFFED SURROUNDED BY POLICE, PROTESTERS CHANTING (English) "We love you, We love you" BACK OF POLICE WITH A HAND ON FONDA'S BACK, PROTESTERS CHANTING "Jane, Jane, Jane" FONDA LAUGHING WITH POLICE OFFICER FONDA WITH HANDCUFFED ARMS EXTENDED TALKING TO POLICE OFFICERS POLICE OFFICER TAKING FONDA'S PICTURE / FONDA STEPPING ONTO BACK OF VEHICLE, POLICE OFFICER WITH HAND ON HER BACK ACTOR SAM WATERSTON ESCORTED BY A POLICE OFFICER WITH HANDCUFFED HANDS ON HIS BACK POLICE OFFICERS OUTSIDE VEHICLES WATERSTON BEING PUT INSIDE BACK OF VEHICLE
- Embargoed: 1st November 2019 16:57
- Keywords: Jane Fonda Climate Change activist arrest Sam Waterstone
- Location: WASHINGTON D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1MM3BB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Actor and activist Jane Fonda, age 81, on Friday (October 18) was arrested on the steps of the United States Capitol after launching "Fire Drill Fridays", a protest inspired by young climate strikers.
Protesters and activists gathered for the event chanted "We love you" and shouted "Jane" as the long-time activist was handcuffed, had a police photo taken, and was put into a police vehicle.
Earlier during her address Fonda had promised 'disruptive' climate protest and anticipated getting arrested.
Fellow actor and protester Sam Waterston was also arrested and taken into police custody.
(Production: Kevin Fogarty / Temis Tormo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None