- Title: Fireworks, flares light up Beirut sky on fourth and biggest night of protests
- Date: 20th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GRILLING MEAT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, CARLOS JULIEN, SAYING (IN RESPONSE TO MOVES BY THE CABINET TO APPROVE WIDE SCALE REFORMS): "I am personally going to stay on the streets and I hope other people do too. Because I think we broke an obstacle of fear and proven that this sectarianism is only superficial. People are hungry. They can't send their children to school. What more can I say?" VARIOUS OF KIOSK SELLING CORN ON THE COB
- Embargoed: 3rd November 2019 21:23
- Keywords: Lebanon protests politics economy unprecedented protests
- Location: BEIRUT, TRIPOLI, JAL EL DIB, ZOUK, GHAZIR AND BYBLOS, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, TRIPOLI, JAL EL DIB, ZOUK, GHAZIR AND BYBLOS, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA005B1WJCXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: On the fourth night of protests, the biggest yet, Beirut's sky line lit up with fireworks as protesters danced and chanted late into the evening showing no sign of abating.
Massive protests swelled across Lebanon on Sunday (October 20) in an unprecedented show of dissent against its ruling elite as hundreds of thousands converged to demand the overthrow of a system they see as riddled with corruption and cronyism.
A sea of people, some draped in or holding Lebanese flags, crammed roads nationwide for a fourth day, calling for revolution in protests that resembled the 2011 Arab revolts that toppled four presidents.
Cheerful, buoyant and hopeful their protests would bring change, people of all ages and religions played patriotic songs and danced in the streets, with some forming human chains and chanting for their leaders to be ousted.
The anti-government protests, fuelled by crippling economic conditions and anger at perceived government corruption, have fanned out across the country since Thursday (October 17).
(Production: Alaa Kanaan, Ahmed el Kerdi, Walid Saleh, Yara Abi Nader, Ayat Basma)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None