- Title: Ceremony held for Turkish soldier killed in northeast Syria
- Date: 20th October 2019
- Summary: PICTURE OF DEAD SOLDIER PINNED TO ANOTHER'S CHEST
- Embargoed: 3rd November 2019 15:06
- Keywords: Syria Turkey funeral soldier ceasefire
- Location: SANLIURFA, TURKEY
- City: SANLIURFA, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1WIM2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A ceremony was held in Sanliurfa on Sunday (October 20) for a Turkish soldier killed during the country's operation in northeastern Syria.
One Turkish soldier was killed and another was wounded on Sunday after an attack by the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia in northeast Syria's Tel Abyad, the defence ministry said, despite a deal to pause military operations as militants withdraw from the area.
President Tayyip Erdogan agreed on Thursday (October 17) in talks with U.S. Vice President Mike Pence a five-day pause in the offensive to allow time for the Kurdish fighters to withdraw from a "safe zone" Turkey aims to form in northeast Syria near its border.
The truce is also aimed at easing a crisis triggered by U.S. President Donald Trump's abrupt decision this month to withdraw all 1,000 U.S. troops from northern Syria, a move criticized in Washington and elsewhere as a betrayal of Kurdish allies who had fought for years alongside U.S. troops against Islamic State.
(Production: Dato Chkhikvishvil; Omer Berberoglu; Bushra Shakhsihr)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.