- Title: Bolivia's Morales casts vote in re-election bid
- Date: 20th October 2019
- Summary: EL CHAPARE, BOLIVIA (OCTOBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) PRESIDENT EVO MORALES ARRIVING AT POLLING STATION, SUPPORTERS AND JOURNALISTS GATHERED, MORALES GREETS ELECTORAL WORKERS AND RECEIVES BALLOT, ENTER'S VOTING BOOTH GENERAL VIEW OF ELECTORAL WORKERS WAITING FOR MORALES TO FINISH VOTING DOOR OPENS, MORALES COMES OUT, HOLDS UP BALLOT AND THEN DROPS IT IN BALLOT BOX, GREETS ELECTORAL WORKERS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PRESIDENT EVO MORALES SAYING: "I call on all of the Bolivian people to participate by casting their vote for the well-being of our democracy." LARGE CROWD GATHERED AS MORALES LEAVES VOTING PRECINCT
- Embargoed: 3rd November 2019 12:44
- Keywords: Bolivia election Evo Morales voting El Chapare
- Location: EL CHAPARE, BOLIVIA
- City: EL CHAPARE, BOLIVIA
- Country: Bolivia
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1WIKHZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: LIVE-U QUALITY. PLS MONITOR FOR FULL RVN QUALITY
Bolivia's President Evo Morales cast his vote on Sunday (October 20) in an election to decide whether to extend his rule to nearly two decades or oust the great survivor of South America's "pink tide" of leftist leaders.
Morales, widely known as just "Evo," is the favourite to win, but it is set to be his toughest race yet since sweeping to power as Bolivia's first indigenous president in 2006. Recent opinion polls show he could win with his weakest ever mandate and may face a risky second round run-off.
"I call on all of the Bolivian people to participate by casting their vote for the well-being of our democracy," Morales said after casting his vote.
Morales needs 40% of ballots and a 10-point lead to win outright on Sunday.
The next president will govern from 2020-2025.
(Production: Herbert Villarraga, Guillermo Garcia)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None