- Title: Syrian family injured after mine explodes in their home in border town
- Date: 20th October 2019
- Summary: TEL ABYAD, SYRIA (OCTOBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) TURKEY-BACKED SYRIAN REBELS GATHERED NEAR AMBULANCE
- Embargoed: 3rd November 2019 13:22
- Keywords: Syrian war Tel Abyad mine explodes Turkey
- Location: TEL ABYAD, SYRIA
- City: TEL ABYAD, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1WIJPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT
A Syrian family was injured on Sunday (October 20) after a mine exploded in their home in the border town of Tel Abyad.
Members of the family said they found a strange item in the house, which exploded when they tugged at it.
One man lost his fingers, another wounded his head, and a young girl's arm was injured in the explosion. Medical personnel arrived on site to treat their injuries.
The family and rebel forces believe the mine was left behind by Kurdish forces before Turkish-backed rebels gained control of the town.
Turkey launched an offensive in northeast Syria aiming to neutralize the Kurdish YPG militia, the main element of Washington's Kurdish-led ally, the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which has been a key U.S. ally in dismantling the jihadist "caliphate" set up by Islamic State militants in Syria.
(Production: Khalil Ashawi, Rosalind Church)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None