- Title: Tear gas fired into the night, bomb detonated
- Date: 20th October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) POLICE LOOKING ON VARIOUS OF POLICE COLLECTING DEBRIS AS EVIDENCE VARIOUS OF POLICE GATHERING NEAR BOMB DETONATION SITE MEDIA FILMING DEBRIS DEBRIS ON GROUND VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HUDDLING BEHIND UMBRELLAS PROTESTERS APPROACHING POLICE IN A GROUP VARIOUS OF TEAR GAS FIRED TOWARDS PROTESTERS POLICE VANS PROTESTERS RETREATING VARIOUS OF POLICE VEHICLES APPROACH VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE MARCHING DOWN STREET WATER CANNON TRUCK MOVING RIOT POLICE STANDING AT ROAD JUNCTION
- Embargoed: 3rd November 2019 12:06
- Keywords: Hong Kong china protest demonstration tear gas
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1WI3WN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong police and protesters fired tear gas into the night on Sunday (October 20) where an illegal anti-government march that attracted tens of thousands descended into chaos, with hundreds of shops trashed and Chinese banks and metro stations targeted.
Police also detonated what was believed to be an explosive found on Lai Chi Kok road in Prince Edward on Sunday.
After two weeks of relative calm, the major rally showed that the pro-democracy campaign has not lost support and that hardcore protesters will continue to clash with police.
Protesters threw petrol bombs at the Tsim Sha Tsui police station on Kowloon peninsula after police inside fired volleys of tear gas to disperse demonstrators on the street.
Other black-clad protesters erected fiery barriers on Nathan Road, a major retail strip in the Kowloon district, as scores of riot police, shields in front, marched towards them, while others fired tear gas.
(Production: Fabian Hamacher, Chantha Lach, Afiq Satikin, Sophia Soo, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None