- Title: Bosnian lady lives in all shades of red
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: BREZE, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA (OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) ZORICA REBERNIK ENTERING DOORWAY IN RED PANTS AND SLIPPERS REBERNIK WALKING INTO HER LIVING ROOM, RED DECOR IN HOUSE KITCHEN WITH RED DECOR AND FITTINGS REBERNIK OPENING RED KITCHEN CUPBOARD REBERNIK TAKING RED CUPS FROM CUPBOARD REBERNIK OPENING RED CUPBOARD IN KITCHEN REBERNIK PLACING RED CUP ON TABLE, RED DECOR IN HOUSE CLOCK WITH RED FRAMING ON WALL REBERNIK DRINKING COFFEE FROM RED CUP, RED DECOR IN HOUSE (SOUNDBITE) (Bosnian) RETIRED TEACHER, ZORICA REBERNIK, SAYING: "When I turned 18 I had a sudden, strong urge to wear red. I don't know how to explain that but I was only listening to my body. When I found one red garment I had to buy another one. I was attracted to it. I had to have all things red and I could not calm down until I had everything in a red colour. I needed that colour." VARIOUS OF REBERNIK PLACING CUTLERY IN KITCHEN DRAWER (SOUNDBITE) (Bosnian) RETIRED TEACHER, ZORICA REBERNIK, SAYING: "My very first important garment (in red) was my wedding gown. That was 45 years ago. I just had to get married in a red gown, I did not want to marry dressed in white." REBERNIK OPENING WARDROBE FULL OF RED SHOES RED SHOES IN WARDROBE (SOUNDBITE) (Bosnian) RETIRED TEACHER, ZORICA REBERNIK, SAYING: "And then I started looking for everything in a red colour, everywhere, I travelled around the world looking for red things." RED VASE WITH FLOWERS STANDING ON KITCHEN CABINET, VARIOUS RED ITEMS RED SHOES IN WARDROBE (SOUNDBITE) (Bosnian) RETIRED TEACHER, ZORICA REBERNIK, SAYING: "I travelled to Austria, Germany, Italy, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria but I found the biggest number of red things in Turkey." INTERIOR OF REBERNIK'S HOUSE IN RED DECOR TABLE WITH RED DECOR (SOUNDBITE) (Bosnian) RETIRED TEACHER, ZORICA REBERNIK, SAYING: "Everybody knows me, wherever I show up and as soon as people see me they offer me different red things to buy. And I buy them, regardless of how much they cost. As long as it is in a red colour. And if someone gives me a gift, no matter how precious it is, if it is not red it doesn't mean anything to me." REBERNIK PLACING PHOTOGRAPHS ON TABLE
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 08:20
- Keywords: Bosnia-Herzegovina Breze red color color hobby odd story lady in red
- Location: BREZE, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
- City: BREZE, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
- Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1RH4K9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Zorica Rebernik has spent her life in red and plans to stay that way - even after she dies.
After four decades dressing in the colour from head to toe, the 67-year-old Bosnian has had tombstones made for herself and husband Zoran - whom she married wearing a red gown - from a special red granite imported from India.
The retired schoolteacher lives in a red house, where she and Zoran eat from red plates, drink from red glasses and sleep in red bedding. Even her hair is dyed red.
"When I turned 18 or 19 there came a sudden, strong urge to wear red," Rebernik told Reuters. "There must not be a single dot of any other colour on my home decorations or clothes."
Wearing shades like scarlet and vermillion gives her "the feeling of strength and power".
Rebernik's obsession with the colour has made her a local celebrity in her hometown of Breze, close to Tuzla in northern Bosnia.
"Everybody knows me. As soon as people see me, they offer me different red things," she said, adding that she would reject any gift that was not red, no matter how precious.
She even goes to funerals dressed in red, eschewing traditional black.
The only problem is that her husband does not notice when Zorica wears something new.
(Production: Dado Ruvic, Suzana Sabljic)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None