- Title: Change or the same? Uruguay set to decide its path in Sunday elections
- Date: 21st October 2019
- Summary: PARTY WORKERS HANDING OUT CAMPAIGN INFORMATION REGARDING THEIR CANDIDATES CAMPAIGN SIGN FOR PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE DANIEL MARTINEZ CAMPAIGN FLAGS FOR THE VARIOUS POLITICAL PARTIES PARTY WORKER HANDING OUT CAMPAIGN PROPAGANDA FOR CANDIDATE DANIEL MARTINEZ VARIOUS OF WOMAN LOOKING AT AND PURCHASING SOUVENIRS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ARTISAN RICARDO LEDEZMA SAYING: "I see a very good future for Uruguay. As an Uruguayan, I see that the people are feeling better, it's very few people you hear complaining. The majority of the people are calm, they're doing well, working, they have their families. There are problems like everywhere else but the problems are minimal. We are doing well, truthfully, we are doing well." PARTY WORKERS CAMPAIGNING FOR CANDIDATE LUIS LACALLE POU
- Embargoed: 4th November 2019 22:39
- Keywords: Uruguay elections presidential Broad Front National Party candidates campaign Montevideo
- Location: MONTEVIDEO, URUGUAY
- City: MONTEVIDEO, URUGUAY
- Country: Uruguay
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA003B21KW1Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Uruguayans will head to the polls on Sunday (October 27) to decide whether to extend the center-left Broad Front party's string of presidential administrations to a fourth term or to turn power over to the conservative opposition.
The presidential ballot will be a test for the Broad Front, led currently by TabarÃ© VÃ¡zquez, as the country grapples with sluggish economic growth.
The conservative opposition, the National Party, nominated Senator Luis Lacalle Pou as its presidential candidate, while the Broad Front's pick is former Montevideo mayor Daniel Martinez.
According to the Americas Society, recent polls indicate the most likely outcome will see Martinez come in first place, but with a runoff on November 24 against Lacalle Pou expected.
(Production: Sebastian Rocandio)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None