- Title: Canada votes as Trudeau seeks to retain power
- Date: 21st October 2019
- Summary: MONTREAL, QUEBEC, CANADA (OCTOBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN LINE, GATHERED AT POLLING STATION CLOSE-UP 'VOTE' SIGN WITH ARROW VARIOUS INTERIORS OF POLLING STATION, PEOPLE IN LINE DOOR OF POLLING STATION WITH 'VOTE' SIGNS, WOMAN WALKS OUT
- Embargoed: 4th November 2019 17:52
- Keywords: Canada voting Canada election voting
- Location: MONTREAL, QUEBEC, CANADA
- City: MONTREAL, QUEBEC, CANADA
- Country: Canada
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001B21KH1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Canadians began voting on Monday (October 21) to determine whether Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who swept into office four years ago as a charismatic figure promising "sunny ways," will remain in power after two major scandals.
Polls opened in the Atlantic province of Newfoundland, with voting set to end in the Pacific Coast province of British Columbia at 7 p.m. (0200 GMT on Tuesday).
Trudeau, 47, the Liberal Party leader, was endorsed by former Democratic U.S. President Barack Obama in the final stretch of the campaign and is viewed as one of the last remaining progressive leaders among the world's major democracies
But he was shaken during the campaign by a blackface scandal and has been dogged by criticism of his handling of a corruption case involving a major Canadian construction company. Trudeau, the son of former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, has also had to overcome a sense of fatigue with his government.
(Production: Carlo Allegri, Scott Vaughan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None