- Title: EU takes note of UK's Brexit extension request
- Date: 21st October 2019
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION BUILDING EU FLAGS
- Embargoed: 4th November 2019 11:06
- Keywords: Brexit withdrawal agreement letter House of Commons European Union extension request delay parliament Boris Johnson
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B21JJUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The European Commission said on Monday (October 21) Britain must now inform the EU executive of its next steps as soon as possible after a key vote on the latest Brexit deal did not take place on Saturday.
The chairman of European Union leaders, Donald Tusk, said on Saturday he had received the extension request and he would now be consulting with EU capitals on how to react.
At a rare Sunday meeting of ambassadors of the 27 states that will make up the EU after Brexit, the diplomats decided to forward British Prime Ministers Boris Johnson's deal to the European Parliament for its required approval. The EU chamber sits in Strasbourg this week.
After the British parliament refused to endorse Johnson's deal at the first time of asking on Saturday, the prime minister sent a letter to the bloc requesting a delay, as required by a law passed earlier by parliament.
Johnson, who has insisted that Britain will leave on October 31 come what may, added another note, however, in which he explained that he personally did not want the "deeply corrosive" postponement.
(Production Clement Rossignol, Christian Levaux, Hortense de Roffignac)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None