- Title: Chile violence spreads to Buenos Aires at protest outside consulate
- Date: 22nd October 2019
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (OCTOBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** FIRE ON STREET WITH THE CITY'S ICONIC OBELISK IN BACKGROUND PROTESTERS BREAKING UP SIDEWALK TILES POLICE IN RIOT GEAR ADVANCING DOWN STREET VARIOUS, PROTESTERS GATHERING ROCKS, PROTESTER USES SLINGSHOT PROTESTERS PULLING ROAD SIGN FROM GROUND PROTESTER USING SLINGSHOT / PROTESTER THROWING ITEMS IN ROAD POLICE ON MOTORCYCLES ADVANCE DOWN STREET PROTESTERS PUSHING LARGE TRASH BINS INTO MIDDLE OF STREET FIRE IN TRASH BIN POLICE ARRESTING PROTESTERS FIRE IN TRASH BIN WITH POLICE IN BACKGROUND FIRE BLOCKING STREET PEACEFUL PROTESTERS OUTSIDE CHILE'S CONSULATE GENERAL OFFICES HOLDING SIGN READING (Spanish) "NO MORE MISERY AND REPRESSION" VARIOUS, PROTESTERS CHANTING (Spanish) "OUT MILITARY OUT" PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING (Spanish) "ERASE PINOCHET'S FOOTPRINT" PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING (Spanish) "PINERA STEP DOWN" VARIOUS, PROTESTERS CHANTING, SAYING (Spanish) "PINERA MURDERER" PROTEST CHILEAN PROTESTER, DAISY ALCAINO, HOLDING SIGN AT PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CHILEAN PROTESTER, DAISY ALCAINO, SAYING: "The people of Chile rose up because they can't take any more. Because they want water, because they took away the rivers, because they're finishing us off, because they have our parents going hungry, asking for food, out in the streets, because there are young people in the streets selling their lives to have a miserable amount of pay. The people of Chile woke up, and they woke up to not go back to sleep ever again, to say to this continent that we were the neo-liberal laboratory of the world, we were first, and we will be the first to get this neo-liberalism out of the region." VARIOUS, PEOPLE BANGING ON POTS AT PROTEST VARIOUS, SEAL ON EXTERIOR OF CHILEAN CONSULATE GENERAL (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ARGENTINE PROTESTER, JUAN CARLOS GIORDANO, SAYING: "They talk about a Chilean economic miracle, until it all exploded. They raised the subway (fares), there was a rejection and the government reversed itself. But, the capitalist plans there are terrible, the people say they don't have access to water, to electricity, everything costs the prices of the first world and the salaries are in the third world." VARIOUS, PEOPLE AT PROTEST PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING (Spanish) "WAKE UP LATIN AMERICA" VARIOUS, PROTESTERS CHANTING PROTESTER WITH FAKE BULLET HOLE IN HER HEAD VARIOUS, PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 4th November 2019 23:09
- Keywords: Chilean fire Argentina arrests Consulate General violence police protesters Chile protest Buenos Aires
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B21KYFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PROFANITY IN SOUNDBITE IN SHOT 20
A protest outside Chile's Consulate General in Buenos Aires, Argentina turned violent on Monday (October 21) when a small group of protesters blocked streets, set trash bins on fire, and hurled stones at police.
Earlier in the day, a larger group assembled for a peaceful protest outside the Chilean diplomatic mission in the Argentine capital in opposition to the government of Chilean President Sebastian Pinera and the repression of massive protests in Santiago.
Protesters banged on pots, chanted, and held signs reading "Pinera Step Down" and "Wake Up Latin America!"
The recent crisis in Chile - normally one of Latin America's most stable countries - was sparked by protests over a hike in public transport fares but reflects simmering anger over intense economic inequality in Chile, as well as costly health, education and pension systems seen by many as inadequate.
(Production: Miguel Lo Bianco, Claudia Martini)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None