- Title: Jordanian women speed toward top place in karting race
- Date: 21st October 2019
- Summary: AUDIENCE WATCHING
- Embargoed: 4th November 2019 13:20
- Keywords: karting karting in Jordan all-female kart race Amman kart race kart racing in Amman
- Location: AMMAN, JORDAN
- City: AMMAN, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA002B21HNX1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At the annual all-women karting race in Amman, racer Bayan Zakrya, who had been passionate about cars since she was a child, was hoping to defend her title.
Spectators watched the race as the women participating made their way to the finish line in the third edition of the Ladies Karting Cup competition.
Zakarya's love for cars came from regularly joining her father during rallies and races. She finished the race in second place, taking a money prize home.
The first place winner was Shaimaa Saad, who received 500 Jordanian dinars ($705).
The second and third winners took 350 and 200 dinars, respectively.
The competition featured more than 180 drivers, of which 50 qualified for the final race. In the first edition of the race, 100 women had participated.
The race was organised by Manja International Circuit, which opened in 2016.
The cars used in the race were provided by the circuit and all matched in features, to give the best woman the chance to snatch the top place.
(Production: Jehad Abu Shalbak, Muath Freij)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.