- Title: Bezos: 'We're going back to the moon to stay.'
- Date: 22nd October 2019
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** BEZOS BEING PRESENTED WITH THE INTERNATIONAL ASTRONAUTICAL FEDERATION (IAF) EXCELLENCE IN INDUSTRY AWARD
- Embargoed: 5th November 2019 13:26
- Keywords: Jeff Bezos moon Blue Origin
- Location: WASHINGTON D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Science,Space Exploration
- Reuters ID: LVA002B26JZGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Blue Origin and Amazon founder Jeff Bezos said on Tuesday (October 22) he is forming a team to return to the surface of the moon.
Blue Origin is spearheading the effort along with Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin and Draper, Bezos said in remarks to the 70th International Astronautical Congress in Washington.
"This is the kind of thing, it's so ambitious it needs to be done with partners. This is the only way to get back to the moon fast. And this time, we're going back to the moon and we're not going back to the moon to visit. We're going back to the moon to stay," Bezos said.
The entrepreneur also shared video of his company's New Glenn orbital launch vehicle which can carry more people and a larger payload.
He also offered some predictions for the future.
"Earth will end up being zoned residential and light industry, and all the heavy industry will be done in space. But, that's going to be a project for future generations," Bezos said.
Bezos was in Washington to receive the Excellence in Industry Award from the International Astronautical Federation (IAF).
(Production: Deborah Gembara)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.