- Title: Amazon tribe chief makes final list for Sahkarov Prize
- Date: 22nd October 2019
- Summary: BRASILIA, BRAZIL (FILE - SEPTEMBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF INDIGENOUS CHIEF RAONI SPEAKING WITH POLITICIANS POLITICIANS CHANTING 'RAONI SIM, BOLSONARO NAO' CHIEF RAONI INSIDE THE NATIONAL CONGRESS VARIOUS OF CHIEF RAONI DURING AN ADDRESS CHIEF RAONI SITTING AT TABLE WITH POLITICIANS CHIEF RAONI WITH SIGN CHIEF RAONI DURING AN ADDRESS CLOSE UP OF CHIEF RAONI'S FACE
- Embargoed: 5th November 2019 14:39
- Keywords: Brazil EU Sakharov Prize Chief Raoni
- Location: BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- City: BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA001B26JX3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brazil's famed indigenous chief Raoni Metuktire, an icon of the Amazon with a large lip plate, yellow macaw-feather headdress and bead necklaces, is a finalist for the Sahkarov Prize for Freedom of Thought.
Chief Raoni became known internationally as an environmental campaigner in the 1980s with musician Sting at his side.
The Kayapo chief has become the symbol of the fight to stop deforestation in the Amazon. He was nominated earlier this year by a group of environmentalists and anthropologists as a candidate for the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize for his lifetime defense of the forest.
At 89, Raoni took to the road again this year seeking help to stop a surge in fires destroying the forest, which he has blamed on the plans of right-wing President Jair Bolsonaro to develop the Amazon economically and assimilate its indigenous people.
Raoni has been vocal about his people wanting to continue living as they always have on the ancestral lands that are increasingly under threat of invasions by illegal loggers, miners and land grabbers since Bolsonaro took office in January.
The European Parliament will announce the winner of the prize on Thursday (October 24).
(Production: Leonardo Benassatto, Leandra Camera)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None