- Title: South Korea willing to discuss with North Korea on Mt. Kumgang
- Date: 23rd October 2019
- Summary: MOUNT KUMGANG, NORTH KOREA (FILE - 2007) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SOUTH KOREAN TOURISTS WALKING ON BRIDGE AT MOUNT KUMGANG
- Embargoed: 6th November 2019 03:30
- Keywords: South Korea Unification Ministry Mount Kumgang file Sweden envoy North Korea reaction
- Location: SEOUL, SOKCHO, SOUTH KOREA/ MOUNT KUMGANG, NORTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOKCHO, SOUTH KOREA/ MOUNT KUMGANG, NORTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B2BFTXJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korea's Unification Ministry in charge of inter-Korean affairs on Wednesday (October 23) said they are examining the North's intentions on Mount Kumgang, as North Korean leader Kim Jong Un visited the mountain and said South Korean facilities must be removed.
"If there's any request from the North, we're always willing to hold discussions from the aspects of protecting our citizens' property rights, the spirit of inter-Korean agreements and the resumption of tours to Mt. Kumgang," ministry spokesman Lee Sang-min told a briefing on Wednesday.
Mt Kumgang was one of two major inter-Korean economic projects, along with the Kaesong industrial zone, and an important token of cooperation between the two Koreas during decades of hostilities following the Korean War.
However, South Korea suspended tours in 2008 after a North Korean soldier shot dead a South Korean tourist who had wandered unknowingly into a military area.
North and South Korea had been exploring the prospect of re-starting joint economic projects before a recent cooling in relations. North Korea has criticised the South for adopting high-tech weapons and continuing joint military drills with the United States.
Earlier in the day, Sweden's special envoy who was instrumental in facilitating the Stockholm talks, Kent Harstedt, said that North Korea and the United States continued communications even after the collapse of the meeting early this month.
(Production: Daewoung Kim, Minwoo Park)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None