- Title: Meet Adrenaline, Asterix's first heroine
- Date: 23rd October 2019
- Summary: VANVES, FRANCE (OCTOBER 22, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MODEL OF ASTERIX'S NEW HEROINE, ADRENALINE, ON DISPLAY AT ALBERT RENE PUBLISHING HOUSE ASTERIX CARTOONIST, DIDIER CONRAD AND ASTERIX SCRIPTWRITER, JEAN-YVES FERRI, POSING NEXT TO MODEL OF ADRENALINE VARIOUS OF CONRAD AND FERRI LOOKING AT 38TH EDITION OF ASTERIX ENTITLED "ASTERIX AND THE CHIEFTAIN'S DAUGHTER" FIGURINES OF ASTERIX AND A ROMAN CENTURION CONRAD AND FERRI DURING INTERVIEW (SOUNDBITE) (French) ASTERIX CARTOONIST, DIDIER CONRAD, SAYING: "We didn't want to develop a character who would be based on her seductive side as we usually do with female characters in Asterix. Most of the time they are young attractive women who seduce Obelix and their role stops there. Here we made someone who has just finished growing but who hasn't fully developed yet. So everything that is feminine is focused on the face and at the beginning of the story she has a silhouette in the form of an S, so she's a bit round-shouldered and grumpy. As she starts to assert herself she stands up straight."
- Embargoed: 6th November 2019 18:06
- Keywords: Asterix Obelix Adrenaline comic book Goscinny Gaul Vercingetorix
- Location: PARIS AND VANVES, FRANCE
- City: PARIS AND VANVES, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Books,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2BJIOP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Asterix, the indomitable pint-sized Gaul forever outfoxing the Romans, returns for his 38th comic adventure "Asterix and the Chieftain's Daughter" featuring a female heroine: Adrenaline, the teenage daughter of famous Gaulish king Vercingetorix.
With her long red braid, black trousers, gold headphones and grumpy teenage disposition, Adrenaline will keep Asterix and his oversized sidekick Obelix chasing after her to ensure her safety as she explores adolescent rebellion.
The last three editions of Asterix have been written by Jean-Yves Ferri and drawn by Didier Conrad, sticking closely to the original format.
"We didn't want to develop a character who would be based on her seductive side as we usually do with female characters in Asterix. Most of the time they are young attractive women who seduce Obelix and their role stops there," Asterix cartoonist Didier Conrad said.
In this latest edition, Asterix and Obelix must protect Adrenaline, who is being hunted down by the Romans, while also being confronted by the intergenerational gap between them and the young chieftain's daughter.
"In terms of the vocabulary it was quite amusing because I had to create a sort of teenage language for the time. We don't have a lot of documentation about that. So the idea was to use certain expressions like teenagers do," Asterix scriptwriter Jean-Yves Ferri said.
Asterix's 38th adventure, printed in 5 million copies, will be released on Thursday (October 24).
The beloved character, who has been entertaining readers with his exploits alongside oversized Obelix since 1959, has become a mainstay in the publishing industry, with more than 370 million albums sold worldwide.
As well as being translated into more than 100 languages, the books have inspired a dozen movies and cartoon series, making it a global phenomenon.
(Production: Noemie Olive and Martin Esposito)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None